Monday, December 21, 2015

Songs that inspired Different Shades of the Same Color

I don’t choose the songs that correspond with each of my books, but rather, they choose me. My
upcoming book -Different Shades of the Same Color - is no exception. The songs that spoke to me this time were a mixture of fun and sadness, which is probably one of the best ways I can describe my fifth book. To learn more about Different Shades of the Same Color (which is coming out in January 2016!) please click here


Once again, here we go…


  

        Blame by Calvin Harris
           
            This is one of the first songs that sprang to mind as I sat down to start chapter one.  The protagonist in this book has a slight knock to the head that changes her whole world and of course, it happens in a very undignified manner. Needless to say, this song title seemed highly appropriateJ

 Breathe (the Zed is Dead Remix) by Prodigy

            How can you not love Prodigy? This song crept up on me, an old reminder of my past life, when I frequently wandered into dance clubs in a Boozin’ night of fun. Speaking of booze, that might be a clue as to how the protagonist hits her head in the first place. The song has such a light, carefree manner that you sense the inner hippie in this character, that is dying to come out.

 Waves by Mr Probz (Robin Schulz Radio Remix)

            I LOVE this song. It’s not a crush, it’s the real thing, baby! So beautiful and chillin’, it just makes you want to grab a beer, grab a joint - whatever you’re into – and sit on a beach, with not a worry in the world. I listened to this song over and over while writing the book.

Stolen Dance – Milky Chance

            Another new discovery for me, this song is what created a vision of a young woman dancing around her apartment, carefree and happy. Perfect for this book:-) 


Super Bass – Nicki Minaj

            One day, as I was writing this book, this song popped up on my iPod and I automatically envisioned a scene in my book. Okay, so that’s kind of the same story I could tell for all these songs, but I pictured a particularly funny scene between the protagonist and her sister. It was one of my favorite parts to write.



 The Shade by Metric

            I’ve been saying for weeks now that this is my personal theme song and I mean it. Live for the moment and want it all! For some reason, this song was often playing in the background as I wrote this book! 


       Money for Nothing by Dire Straits

            This song is mentioned and is symbolic with regards to her family, specifically her father. 


 Beautiful Goodbye by Amanda Marshall

            There’s a lot more going on in this story than what it seems. People will be surprised.




       Running up that Hill by Kate Bush

                This may seem like an unusual song to add to the mix, but it struck a cord with me during the writing process. It definitely has a connection to my plot.








Canadian author Mima is known for her complicated and diverse characters, a dark style and for never shying away from controversial topics. To request an interview or if you are interested in doing a book review, please send requests here
 

Mima is the author of Fire and the prequel, A Spark before the Fire, as well as The Rock Star of Vampires  Her Name is Mariah and Different Shades of the Same Color. Join Mima on Facebook, TwitterG+ and Goodreads also, check out her Amazon Author Page

For some reading, check out her blogs – personal or writing

Don’t let the fun stop here - sign up for the newsletter!




No comments:

Post a Comment