Saturday, January 31, 2015

Songs that inspired Her Name is Mariah

With every book I write, I always have a list of songs that both motivated and inspired throughout the writing process. They tend to reflect on either the main character or a segment of their story. Usually these songs will suddenly start flowing through my mind, find their way onto my iPod or bounce into my thoughts while I'm attempting to fall to sleep. They are the songs that I believe are meant to guide me down the mysterious path that turns into a story and although I often don’t realize it at the time, they tend to have more than one hidden meaning that I may not even recognize at first.

For my next book, to be entitled Her Name is Mariah, I have compiled a list of songs that greatly
represents the complex path that the protagonist follows throughout the book. But first, here is a little about the book:


Mariah Nichols was adaptable. She lived through her parent’s bitter divorce, a childhood of neglect and the discovery that her brother was transgender: so the concept of turning into a vampire was just one more adjustment in an already chaotic life.

But when tragedy rips through Mariah's heart, she realizes what it takes to survive in the world. She must become like an animal and run on instincts not emotions.

Or so she thought.

Her name is Mariah, and this is her story.


Master of Puppets – Metallica

This song constantly went through my head while writing this book. It will surprise many to learn that the protagonist makes several references to the band in the book and as a child, this was the music that helped her sleep and made her feel safe.

Man! I feel like a woman – Shania Twain

Granted, a bit of an unexpected follow up to Metallica, but I will say, it is referred to in the book. When I was finishing the last few chapters of this book, I was also reading Shania Twain’s autobiography and felt a tremendous amount of respect for the challenges she faced in her life. Although I’m not normally a country fan, I loved how her songs were always so positive and empowering toward women. This feeling stuck with me and worked its way into the book.


Don’t fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

From chapter one, this song had a strong connection to this book. There was almost a hidden meaning within it that I had to explore in order to learn about a tragic character named Mariah Nichols. Death is always a central theme in all my books and this one is no different. There is an unexpected spiritual element that is an important part of this book that I think will surprise readers.

Maneater – Nelly Furtado
Another great Canadian artist is added to my list and her song greatly reflects Mariah Nichols. In fact, there was a brief period when I considered calling the book Mariah the Maneater among other things, but nothing really sat well with me until I decided on Her Name is Mariah.

Hungry like the wolf - Duran Duran


This pertains to a specific, yet a key comment made in the book where Mariah after tragedy strikes her world. She makes the decision that she will not be hunted by a wolf, but chooses to be the wolf herself.

Yin Yang - USS

I became addicted to this song for several months and for some reason, I connected it to Mariah’s attitude and view of the world. At least, in one portion of the book.

Sour Girl - Stone Temple Pilots


Another song I couldn’t get out of my head while writing this book and it is said to be about someone feeling like an emotional hostage in a relationship. That suits a portion of this book perfectly.

And finally....




As I have commented earlier in this blog, I always have a list of songs that inspire each of my books. Here is a complete list of all my books, check out the following links: -)




Canadian author Mima is known for her complicated and diverse characters, a dark style and for never shying away from controversial topics. To request an interview or if you are interested in doing a book review, please send requests here
 

Mima is the author of Fire and the prequel, A Spark before the Fire, as well as The Rock Star of Vampires  Her Name is Mariah and Different Shades of the Same Color. Join Mima on Facebook, TwitterG+ and Goodreads also, check out her Amazon Author Page

For some reading, check out her blogs – personal or writing


Don’t let the fun stop here - sign up for the newsletter!


1 comment:

  1. until now, ive only hear half of those songs :O

    ReplyDelete